Can Creativity flourish in your working environment?
Here are some golden rules that you can use as a checklist to see if a) creativity could flourish if you are looking to embrace it or b) to find out why your best efforts at being creative are failing dismally.
Here are some rules for dealing with things on a personal level:
- Mindsets must change, even if the changes are small
- Explore the ‘givens’, the problem boundaries
- Look at the broad picture AND details
- Value play
- Build up, say ‘yes and’ not ‘yes but’
- Learn to live with ambiguity
- Don’t force creativity on people, nurture what is there
- Involve other people
- Be receptive, watch and listen
- Know what your objectives are
- Cycle often, close late – don’t just plump for the quickest option
- Manage the process, if you don’t it will be a playground
… and here are some things from the wider environment:
- Whatever you do must be fun!
- Manage interpersonal differences, they will come to the fore
- Manage status differences, these will appear too
- Manage expectations, be realistic but have goals
- Inhibition and risk need to minimised, people need to feel comfortable
- Minimise group and critical pressure, use the first checklist to help here
- Ban distractions, ban laptops and mobile phones for a day if necessary
- Logistics, pay attention to small things such as decor, refreshments etc
Pay attention to the above and you have a good chance of succeeding. Now all you need to know is WHAT to do!